We are so lucky in Ontario to have a bounty of fresh summer produce available to us.
Our local farmers’ harvest fruit and vegetables that are oozing with fresh flavours and packed with vitamins and nutrients.
Here is a small roundup of local fruit and vegetables available now. Sure they are good just on their own, but the variety of recipes below showcases their immense versatility.
Peach pie is the first thing you probably think about when you think peaches. But there are so many more interesting and exciting ways to showcase this fruit of summer!
- Breakfast and brunch get a vitamin-packed boost with these ooey-gooey-good Maple Peach Pancakes.
- The enticing combination of fresh, ripe peaches with the subtle heat of chipotle peppers makes this Chipotle Peach & Salad recipe a must for lunch or dinner on the porch or deck.
- It doesn’t get much better than dinner on the BBQ. But instead of the usual hot dogs and hamburgers, take your meal up a notch with super easy, but most impressive Grilled Honey Garlic Pork with Peaches.
Did you know that nectarines are a genetic variant of peaches and that nectarine and fruit trees are almost indistinguishable? So for those that aren’t a fan of peach fuzz, this is the fruit for you.
- Eating breakfast on the go? These Nectarine Bran Muffins will start your day off right.
- Rich avocadoes are finely balanced with fresh nectarines and the acidity of white wine vinegar and lemon juice in the dressing of this crowd-pleasing Avocado & Nectarine Salad recipe.
- Perfect for summer parties on the deck or a quiet weekend indoors, this White Sangria with Nectarines and Coronation Grapes is light and refreshing.
Red or Golden Beets
If you love beets, but dislike the deep red stain they can leave behind, use golden beets instead. You get the same great flavor without the red juices.
- While the classic Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese recipe is a go-to for many people, it’s become a bit mainstream. Add the excitement back with just a few tweaks, thanks to this amazing Roasted Beet Spinach and Apple Salad recipe.
- Even more impressive is this stunner – Beets Millefeuille with Mozzarella Cheese.
- And who said a chocolate dessert can’t be healthy? Using beets, spelt flour and Greek yogurt, this Beet & Chocolate Torte will wow the crowd.
Many experts consider kale to be one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods - rich in vitamins A, C, K, folate, lutein and much more.
- The best snack and healthy to boot? Crispy Kale Chips! Once you make them, you’ll be hooked.
- Appetizers don’t get much better than this zesty Tuscan Kale & White Bean Pesto Crostini. Other ways to enjoy it – pair it with soup and salad for a complete meal for lunch or dinner.
- Curly Kale Rolls with Vegetables make eating your vegetables fun for the whole family!
Summer produce is here! Support your local producers and farmers and buy local.