Krinos Taste of the Danforth is happening this weekend from Friday August 7 to Sunday August 9th. Here are 10 things you need to know about the epic event:
1. The 3-day festival is Canada’s largest street fest, with 1.6 million attendees annually (To compare, attendance to the CNE in 2010 was 1.2 million folks over 18 days).
2. This is the 22nd year for the annual event.
3. Cool fact - the festival is run largely by a board of directors consisting of volunteers from the local community.
4. Guinness World Record breaking contests have become a part of the festivities in later years. This year, there are two records attempting to be broken - Most People to Eat an Olive in 8 Hours (you only need to eat one olive to be a part of the world record) and a soccer challenge - Most People to Make a Penalty Kick in 8 Hours.
5. There are lots of vacations to be won – a cruise to Greece, and trips to Greece, Jamaica and St. Lucia!
6. The 9th annual Danforth Dash Bed Race is kicking off TOTD just east of Broadview from 12:30-1:30pm. Participants include TV celebrities, NHL athletes and Canadian Olympians, all competing for the 2015 Golden Bed Pan Trophy.
7. There will be live music and entertainment every day across three stages.
8. Two zones – sports and kids – offers fun events for the whole family.
9. Beer! Head to Labatt’s Shock Top Beer Garden to quench your thirst. In addition, you’ll be able to sample Shock Top and Goose Island Beer throughout the festival.
10. Taste of the Danforth is all about the food and this year is no different. Here are just a few of the street’s restaurants and dishes they’ll be serving:
Avli – BBQ Pork Ribs, Calamari, Chicken Legs, Grilled Lamb Chops
Green Basil – Chicken Curry, Mango Salad, Pad Thai, Spring Rolls
Mambo Lounge – Calamari, Crab Cakes, Cuban Cheesecake
Ouzeri – Chicken Pies, Lamb Pies
Lolita’s Lust – In addition to their famous Fresh Squeezed Lemonade, Lolita’s Lust will be extending their patio and offering an enticing menu of sharing plates. Items include Chicken Liver Pate, Mussels Marianara, Mediterranean Sharing Platter, and Seafood Tasting Platter. An added bonus? Not only are they fully licensed, they’re licensed until 4am during the festival.