The Pan American Food Festival is back!
The third annual event, taking place over the upcoming August long weekend, features both local and international chefs, food competitions (Empanada Battle!), the premiere of Pan Am Music Fest, and tons of activities for the whole family.
Held at Daniels Spectrum and on neighbouring streets, Daniel Garcia-Herreros, Festival Director and Founder says, “We are excited to present the best flavours and cultures of the Pan American region at the height of Pan Am fever in Toronto. We are returning to Daniels Spectrum this year with our biggest festival to date — filled with more delicious food experiences, cultural events and performances than ever before.”
The launch on Thursday, July 30 will include the opening of 10x10 Pan American Faces, a new photography exhibition, done by ten local photographers to celebrate the contribution of Pan Americans to Toronto.
The Festival is free to the public from Saturday August 1 to Monday August 3, where you can shop the Pan American Market, take part in activities for the kids, and attend a Latin dance workshop.
Food plays a big part in the fest, which features food demos, vendors and food trucks. Other mouth-watering highlights include:
- This year’s feature International Chef is Colombia’s Master Chef winner, Federico Martinez, will prepare a traditional Colombian favourite on Saturday at 4 pm.
- Free International Chef Food Demonstrations take place both on Saturday and Sunday from noon to 5pm.
- International Food Competition, Empanadas Battle - Six chefs from the Pan American region will compete on Saturday from 6:30-8:30pm. A $10 ticket entitles guests to sample all six empanadas and a voting ballot to pick their top contenders.
- This year’s Host Country, Mexico, is sponsoring the Masa Mas Lucha Libre Competition. On Sunday from 6-7:30pm, six chefs will battle to make the best masa-based dish from different regions of the country. Visitors can taste all the contending dishes and vote with their $10 ticket.
- On Monday, Free International Chef Food Demonstrations take place from noon to 3pm.
- International Food Competition, Heladisimo (Ice Creams). On Monday August 3 at 3 pm, four chefs offer ices and ice creams with a Pan American twist.). Tickets are $6.
For more information visit www.panamfoodfest.com.